Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Trash, Spitting, and Saying Bye-Bye to the Toilet


Today, Erik came home from work to watch Everett while I had a conference call.

Long Poop Bomb
He took over Evy care AND saw a new dirty diaper just as the trashman was leaving our townhouse cluster. Weighted with Everett, he was determined to get out as many diapers as possible and quickly went into action.

With Everett in arm, he grabbed the diaper, ran out the door to the middle of the road, and chunked the diaper 50 feet through the air . . . only to land right in the middle of the GARBAGE TRUCK opening. How many people do that? The trashman gave Erik a thumbs up, and Everett stared in amazement at witnessing his first "long poop bomb."

Spitting
Erik is in charge of bathtime, usually, which often includes brushing teeth. When we first started brushing Everett's teeth, we would jokingly say to Everett,"Go ahead and spit," when the brushing was over.

Erik decided to take this skill development on as a personal mission. Whenever Everett brushed his teeth, Erik would provide a thorough demonstration of spitting into the sink . . . and Everett would laugh hysterically, repeatedly. (you know how toddler humor is)

Last week, Erik's hard work paid off when Everett spit into the sink. I heard Erik excitedly exclaim, "Good Boy!" all the way into the kitchen.

Saying Bye-Bye to the Toilet
Recently, I thought I heard Erik say while in the bathroom, "Bye-bye, Pee-pee." I kind of wondered at it, but this is Erik we are talking about here. So, I didn't think twice . . . that is until yesterday. I went to the bathroom, accompanied by Everett (of course), as soon as I was finished and flushed the toilet, he said,"bye-bye," opening and closing his cute little hands in a wave, to the contents as they swirled away.

So, I verified later with Erik. And, yes, he had taught Everett to say, "bye-bye" to the toilet, or, rather to the contents of the toilet as they are carried away by the water. And, as a side note, Erik's instruction was to close the lid of the toilet after you wave goodbye. (so he won't put his hand the the water . . . not early training on keeping the toilet seat down)