Sunday, March 02, 2008

Erik Goes Spidey and a Bit Heroic

Erik and I had a chance, thanks to a very nice couple, to spent a night in Annapolis without Everett. We wanted a chance to take a step back and relax without chasing a toddler.

If you are inclined to feel sorry for Everett for being left behind, don't. This couple is the cutest ever, and they are both the nicest, warmest, funnest people you could ever meet. Everett was in heaven and behaved himself appropriately.

At the beginning of the trip, like when we were all checked into the hotel and ready to hit the sights, Erik says,"Huh, I wonder what this is."


Yeah, that's a spider bite. sigh. Our first nonresponsibility weekend since I was put on bedrest in Fall 2006, and we get a spider bite.

Spidey Erik calls our "on call" nurses (thanks Mom and Mandy), and we decide to see how it goes (he wasn't in too much pain). I furtively look for clues of spider transformation like Herculean strength, web capabilities, and spidey sense.

We find a CVS and spend 20 minutes debating thermometers for Everett and buying more Feverall (hard to find), oh, and got an antihistamine for Spidey Erik who needed to rely on VZ Navigator to find CVS after getting directions from the lady at the hotel (CVS was just around the block). Safe to say that there was at least no directional spidey sense developing. I think we spent about an hour at CVS.

At 8:00 in the evening when it is time to start my cocktail, we look at the materials . . . and realize that I had forgotten to pack the part of the syringe that HOLDS the serum. I have extra needles for both drawing up the serum and administering the serum, I have the serum, I have alcohol swabs, I have the other pills that are part of my cocktail, I even have the sharps containter . . . my stomach and heart sink to the floor . . . Hero Spidey Erik calls the friendly CVS pharmacist.

A CVS pharmacist who doesn't know if he has what we need . . . Hero Spidey Erik doesn't take this wish-washy answer and drives to the CVS, still using VZ Navigator . . . 30 minutes later Hero Spidey Erik comes back with the right part for the syringe and Imodium for me (I was having a rough day).

Hero Spidey Erik administers the shot. And when he mutters, as he is about to poke my bum, "I think I remember how to do this," I ignore him.

WHAT a HERO! My Hero!

Update on the spider bite: His hand is not dying. It is looking better. I must note that part of my cocktail is an antibiotic. Both of us take the antibiotic. Erik thinks that it is ridiculous since he has already completed his part of developing the embryo. But, Lo And Behold, that same irritating antibiotic is helping his spider bite. Amen.

Thanks, Meg and Aaron, for helping us out.
You are the best!

Note: There were two places that we will definitely be visiting again on our next trip to Annapolis-


Doesn't my Hero Spidey Erik look great in this picture!