Saturday, March 01, 2008

Fertility Quest: First Numbers

Several people don't understand the whole bloodwork sonogram stuff and why it takes so much time and why I have to go often. So, this is to demystify the experience. Like all the other Fertility Quest posts I am speaking plainly.

For the bloodwork and sonogram, today:

5:45 Woke up to get ready. Showered and spent time on my appearance. I always feel better for these appointments if I have time to get myself together.

6:30 Out the door to drive to the Shady Grove office in Maryland, 25 miles away.

I believe that there is one office that is closer and open on Saturday/Sunday, but it is at the Maryland office that the embryo transfer will take place, and I felt like I needed to drive to the office again just to make sure I could get there without any problems and remember how long it took . . . 30 minutes without traffic.

**Note: This fertility business stuff is not relegated to regular business hours just as baby making for the general public is not. The office, staff, and appointments are dictated by the body, the timing, and the particular medical reason to seek out fertility help.

6:59 Parked and rushed to the elevator. Office is on the 4th floor.

7:00 Signed in making sure to leave two phone numbers on my sign-in sheet. (They'll call with the results in the afternoon, and it is best to have an alternate number available.) The office is eerily quiet. One other patient--I don't see any staff yet.

waited, waited, waited, read and reread all the stats on success rate of pregnancy with singleton, twins, triplets

7:15 I finally saw a staff member and found out that I needed to be on the 2nd floor. I had totally forgotten that they had any offices there, too. Made it to the 2nd floor, signed in again.

The waiting room here is full.

The waiting room at this type of office is typically not a jolly place. The atmosphere has always been rather somber. Patients are visibly nervous and stressed. You see lots of couples holding hands, patting each other on the back to soothe, and most are quiet. This is a high cost venture--high dollar, high emotional expense, high energy drain, and high time requirement.

I really do like how this practice has put effort in honoring patient privacy, that HIPPA stuff. There are glass block walls at every key place so that your privacy is protected.

7:30 The laboratory technician picked me up for my blood draw. She asked me my security information at least three times. She took my blood and was GREAT with the draw! I don't think I'll bruise too badly from this one. Hate the cotton ball and tape method.

Went to empty my bladder and returned back to the waiting room to be called for the ultrasound.

7:40 Got called for my ultrasound. Empty bladder, check. I get to derobe from the waste down and wait. The room is rather chilly this time. Thankfully, I didn't wait very long.

The doctor was the one that retrieved my eggs back in 2006. The nurse was also familiar. They were jovial and gentle.

The ultrasound went well. These ultrasounds are never the "let's squeeze some nice warm gel on your belly and then roll the wand back and forth to have a lookee" ultrasound like when you go through one to check on the baby. These are intravaginal ultrasounds. I made sure that she knew that I only have one ovary . . . or they might work that equipment and make me squirm looking for #2 ovary, all the while they are trying not to look panicked about the "missing piece" until one of them asks.

The nurse double checked that I had my medication ready if all the results were on point. I was then able to get dressed and met with a nurse in a consult room WITH ALL my clothes on to make sure I understood the next steps. This makes such a difference. I am totally used to talking about my medical stuff basically naked-feet in the stirrups, but I do find that I remember better when I am comfortably dressed.

7:50 The consult was informative. She went over my cocktail protocol and answered all of my nitpicky questions. She was so positive about this next step in the process reminding me that not very many patients end up with embryos that can be frozen. She admonished me to take care of myself, realize that this is a stressful process, and to remain positive.

7:59 I left the office ready.

8:30 Back at home. Everett and Erik both gave me hugs and kisses.

12:15 The Call: Yikes! That is a pretty early call.

The nurse was ready with the numbers . . . the hormone levels, the measurement of the lining of my uterus. She rattles them off pretty quickly. I won't write these down but I'll certainly track the next sets if she says I can get started on my cocktail . . . and I am good to GO!

She ended the phone call with a heartfelt, "Good luck!" I love it when the nurses say that to me. Helps connect the emotional side to all those numbers.

I was really surprised at how happy I was about the news--lots of dancing and singing around the house.

What happens next? I start my cocktail. I have several more ultrasounds and bloodwork visits to check the numbers and make sure that the hormone levels are acting correctly and that the lining of the uterus is developing nicely.