We reached 36 weeks! The past 24 hours have been a bit harrowing, but I've been a good girl and was able to stop contractions. The OB says I am 1 cm dilated and have not really effaced at all. So, we could get another week out of my body supporting this baby, which is preferable. (Though I must admit that after all the pain and contracting yesterday, I wanted, just a little bit, for the contractions to be over . . . like because the baby was here.)
I am trying to buck up, ignore my irritable uterus, and pretend that I am athletic after all. I mean, my life may be missing a gold medal only because they just don't have uterus strength competitions in the Olympics. If they did, I'd go for it after all the workouts (ie contractions) I've had with this pregnancy.
Two things that kept running through my mind last night when we thought we were only hours from going to the hospital:
- My happy delivery pictures will include the only pimple I've had in months (why having a pimple on my chin would bother me when I know my face will be swollen to the size of the Great Pumpkin, I don't know).
- My kitchen is dirty (rest assured, it isn't now, and I am contemplating letting a couple trees sacrifice their bodies for paper goods at least so I don't have that panic again).
I carried Everett low; this baby is even lower. Some of the details are pretty uncomfortable for the general audience. I thought long and hard about this, whether I should share--but, some of the things that happened were like, "WWHHAA!!!!!" and there really isn't much information out there. If you are uncomfortable with the word "vagina"----then oo and ahh over the picture below and move on to another link . . . like this one: CJaneRun or think about a sugarless life by taking a look at: SugarShun

Too Much Information
I mean it; some of the following may make you uncomfortable. I use the words labia, vulva, vagina, and rectum. I don't want to hear anyone complaining that they didn't appreciate this post and that I crossed the line of propriety. I gave everyone fair warning.
The following encapsulates many things that I experienced because I carry my babies low, and I didn't hear that others experienced these things. Straight up, a good thing about carrying low is . . . I get no rib kicking. Only late into the pregnancy do the babies shove their feet into my ribs, but the babies are so big by that time that it isn't a jab, and I just place my hand on their feet to push them down a bit. I wonder why I carry low--I don't know if it is me or the baby. I often wonder why the baby doesn't take advantage of my long torso for the flipping and flopping. 'Nuff of that talk, here is what I experienced.
Rectal Kicks--if you are carrying your baby low, there is the chance that you'll feel kicking on the "poop shoot"---or your anus. The first time this happens, you'll feel violated and jump violently out of your seat to see what spring is now popping out of your upholstered chair . . . no worries, it is uncomfortable, disconcerting, but I didn't suffer from any long term effects. (This only happened with my first baby.)
Constipation and Hemorrhoids--yeah, that is a given, just take your OB approved stool softener and don't strain. Having rabbit pellet sized poop is just part of what happens, not preferable, but you will recover.
Bleeding Vaginal Varicose Veins--you read it right. You can get varicose veins in places other than your legs. You might notice more pain in that region--around the vulva, you may notice bleeding (which will freak you out because doesn't everyone freak out when they see blood on a piece of toilet paper while they are pregnant?) The following states it better than I can:
What is treatment of varicose veins of the vulva? --There is no treatment required for vulvar/vaginal varicosities. Once the baby is delivered, the varicosities will subside. In rare instances, there may be a rope-like vein but this will soon disappear with time. http://www.veindirectory.org/content/vaginal-varicose-veins.asp
The best thing is to wear a sanitary pad, granny underpants, and the loosest pants possible or dresses and skirts (do not give into your vanity and wear jeans, OUCH!) Yes, that area is more sensitive and sore. Don't plan on too much bike riding if you experience these. If you find you are bleeding, apply pressure just like any other bleed you would have. If you don't stop bleeding within several minutes call your doc and be open to going to the ER. Don't feel stupid or weird about talking to your OB about this. There are LOTS of other uncomfortable things that you'll be talking about later with your OB. (Personally, I blushed when I asked my OB about them. BUT, I did ask!)
Swelling--and I don't mean in the face or legs. Yes, the labia/vulva can swell, particularly if you are carrying low--all that pressure from the baby may create some discomfort for you. The best thing that I have found is 1) don't freak out, it will go away after the delivery and 2) wear granny underpants and the loosest pants possible, or dresses and skirts.
Incontinence--This is something that happens with most women when they are pregnant. They sneeze and a little pee comes out. They throw-up and a little pee comes out. They laugh and a little pee comes out. It is what happens when the baby dislocates all of the body's organs. However, because my baby is so low--I move and a little pee comes out; the baby twists and a little pee comes out. It is frustrating sometimes and I am to the point that I wonder why I even use the toilet. If someone would just slap a diaper on me, I would be good to go. But, I know that this will go away.
"Walking Like You've Been Kicked In the Nuts" OR "The Cowboy Walk"--No, noone kicked me in the groin, but the baby's head has been in position to deliver since week 16 and right on the cervix the entire time. Some days, it hurts to get up and stand and walk down the hall, my pelvis feels like it will split in two, and it is just wholly uncomfortable. I try to do some stretching, and I wear a maternity belt on the more horrific days. I haven't walked with any speed since 20 weeks. (Many ladies talk about this discomfort when their baby is engaged or during "lightening"---which usually occurs at the end of the pregnancy as the baby prepares to enter our world.) I don't have any helpful hints. Take comfort from the fact that you aren't the only one.
Exercising during my pregnancies could have, maybe, alleviated some of the discomfort from some of the previously mentioned issues. I don't know because I was told not to work out---then I was told keep it to short walks---and then the contractions started and I was told to basically do nothing. But, talk about it with your doctor. Several other ladies that have carried low didn't have any problems with exercising . . . and some did. We are all different---but we do share common experiences.
I wanted to share these experiences because I found that I was ashamed to even whisper the phrase "vaginal varicose veins." What poppycock! My body has been given an amazing opportunity, and I should embrace it all, not duck my head and blush when I mention *it* to the OB.
Well, now, that wasn't too bad was it?