Right now, Merritt and I are in the hospital. He is sunning himself under two bili lights and laying on a bili blanket. I am slowing watching my ankles turn to cankles since all that pregnancy water retention hasn't left yet.
We knew Merritt was jaundiced when we were discharged from the hospital on Friday. What we didn't expect was how quickly his levels would rise by day 3 (most rise to the numbers he has by day 4 or 5). After a harrowing experience getting a bili level done on Saturday (still don't know if I want to share that--too tired to think about it), Merritt was admitted Saturday afternoon.
Evy also experienced the bili lights while staying in the NICU. I hear that everyone in my family gets at least a bit of jaundice, too.
Merritt fought the isolette all evening, crying hysterically. He is so long, he can reach both sides of the isolette with his hands and he beat the Plexiglas container with his hands and feet--rolling to the "access" side when he figured out where the hands come in and out. Thankfully, today he seems more content to hang in the heat with his sunglasses on . . . for that I am grateful.
"Bebrit"--as Evy calls him, is doing well. We may stay another night. Me, I'm ready to be at home with my boys so that we can all get to know one another. For now, I am thankful that I am able to be with Merritt while he gets a tan. Hhhmmm--My cankles could use a tan, too.
Picture With Mom on the Day Merritt Was Born