Thursday, September 18, 2008

Week 29

I MADE IT!!!

Overall, this week has been easier on the contraction front. They are still coming. The Doc and I conferred today with today's sonogram results and decided to put me on Procardia to help decrease the number of contractions. I am happy with that.

I had so much help today with Everett. Lovely Bonnie watched him during my several hour sonogram trip and Lovely Lizbeth kept him occupied while I went to the doc in the afternoon. Without them, today would have been very, very hard. I am grateful to have friends that are able to help.

In all, the cervix looks longer than it ever has . . . mostly due to the position of the baby at the time of the sonogram. And, no your cervix can't grow or "go back"--but at least it isn't short and responding to the contractions. Don't worry, the baby's position hasn't veered--still head down deep in the pelvic region. At least some things in life are consistent.

Because the baby is carrying so low and because my torso is so long, I look really funny most days . . . the belly is pouring out of my shirts, even when I layer with a tank top underneath. They haven't started making TALL sized maternity clothes, yet. I've tried several different things. The most successful is to go up 2 sizes to XXL--which leaves enough material to cover the belly so I don't go waddling about like my pants are about to fall off and showing my gut to the world.

Most of you won't be surprised to know that in two weeks the baby's weight went from 50th percentile to 85th percentile. I knew that this little one would grow to be just as robust as Everett; I was just hoping that it would happen a little bit later in the pregnancy. In all, it is nothing to complain about--just an observation. The baby is measuring 2-3 weeks further in development, depending on the body part, than 29 weeks. In all, I'll be a huge pregnant lady.

(You'll have to stay tuned to see how I figured out to do a Halloween costume with my growing size. I think the idea is ingenious. Erik doesn't think it is a genius product, but he remains supportive, as always.)

Though things are hard, they could be harder. I am grateful for the opportunity to be pregnant and to experience the development of life. I am grateful for excellent health care and doctors who listen (despite one of the high-risk doctors telling me today that if contractions bother me I should drink 1/2 a glass of wine and go lay down---I think he must have just had a glass himself).