Friday, September 30, 2011

Today in School: Paper Beret

I could not find instructions on how to make a beret out of paper.  My sewing machine is dead.  And, I wanted the field trip to have an added element of fun.

So, here is what I did:
glue
pompoms (if you want)
poster board
scissors
felt
stapler



I just printed off a picture of a beret as a template and cut around it to what I thought would be a good "size" for my boys.  I then, cut the felt according to the template.


Cut one strip of posterboard (per kid) and "fit" the length around the head to make sure it is the correct size, staple it.  I used an inch wide strip.  (look how much Evy's head is bigger than Merritt's, wow)



Cut a smaller template shape out of the posterboard to provide structure for the felt piece.  (You can cut the posterboard to match the felt exactly, but you don't need to for sufficient support.)



Staple the posterboard beret shapes to the headbands.



Glue the felt shaped beret pieces (Elmer's works just fine).



Glue pompoms (f you want) and make "tuft" lines on the felt to give it beret-like dimension.



Now, we are ready to go!