Thursday, May 08, 2008

Age-Time

The other day I realized that I graduated from high school 15 years ago. (and since I married an older man, it has been even longer for Erik) hehehe

And, then I caught wind that it has been 25 years since Tom Cruise and Risky Business entered our world.

And, HELLO, Indiana Jones . . . can you believe that snake adverse hero has been around since 1981? 2008-1981=27 years (all you sleep deprived people out there, yes, I had to actually write out the problem . . . mental math only works when I've slept well) And, you must plan to see the new movie, of course.

What happened? Where did the time go? I feel only slightly older than I did in 1993. There was no magical poof at any point where a cloud of smoke enveloped my being and I emerged an adult. Physically, I am a bit different. (Let's say I'm more "mature.") Mentally, that's a toss-up. Financially, I have much more in school debt than I did at 18. Spiritually, I think that this is where the largest area of growth occurred. (That wouldn't be what I would have guessed 15 years ago.)

But, what causes me to really think is what will the next 15 years or 25 years or 30 years bring? I don't know that I want to watch entertainers age as much as I have aged. Nothing against them . . . it just causes me to think about how much I must have changed over the same time period and I don't have the advantages of plastic surgery, make-up artists for the stars, or someone to touch up my pictures.

That's not to say I want freeze time or that I want to go back to being 18 years old again. No way. I am enjoying my life's progression, and I am very prideful of my post-graduate school matching furniture.

I think one of the more exciting elements of change over time is watching the children around us grow up. I know which of my students will be a Pulitzer prize author. One little girl I know has the potential to organize the world. Chances are one of my nephews will be a cowboy and/or a professional stunt man--sound effects guy, and I am convinced that my nieces will grow up to be taller than me. All that sounds a bit shallow in depth, but you get my drift.

So, I'll slather on the sunscreen, drink lots of water, refrain from smoking clove cigarettes, and maybe succumb to flossing on a regular basis; so perhaps the physical aging won't be so dramatic. (Does using satin pillowcases work?)

My idea of a fountain of youth . . . this is the world's largest working chocolate fountain . . .

the Bellagio, Las Vegas