Monday, December 17, 2007

Large? Humongous?

After work this evening, while waiting for Erik, and being a bit parched, I bought a drink. I ordered a large.

While waiting to get my drink, I placed my money on the counter, picked out my straw, unwrapped it, and awaited my drink with anticipation. I was really thirsty, . . . parched, I said.

The lady poured the drink and then said, "Oh, wait. I need to get you a top for your drink."

I eyed the hundreds of regular sized, X-cut plastic tops and watched her walk to the back. I thought,"Surely some of those are large. Maybe she thinks she is running out?"

When she came back, I was ready. Then she said,"Oh, I forgot the straw?" She proceeded to go to the back, again.

By this time I was really confused. I looked at the one in my hand and thought, "What? A special straw?"

When she handed over the "large" drink, what I really received was the "humongous."

I've seen SuperSizeMe. I read, at least weekly, about the obesity rates of Americans today, especially children. And, yet, when I get the large, I can't believe how unbelievablely huge it is.

BTW, what on Pluto is up with the dome on the drink? Am I going to jog around with a soda? And, I just checked. The Humongous Cup With The Dome does not glow in the dark. Priorities people, check them.

But, wait, the blue toppy thing swivels so that it can be opened, semi-opened, or closed. Sippy-Cup-for-the-Over-Thirty-Crowd.