So, last night we were all a bit on the cabin fever suffering side with the gray raining day keeping us in the whole day. Thus, we all piled into the car for some holiday light viewing. (I drove. Erik is on super pain medicine and isn't allowed to operate heavy machinery.)
Upon reflecting on the drive, it was a bit like chauffeuring two drunk people around. The happy drunk and the cranky drunk. See for yourself.
Scene: Driving down wet streets viewing neighborhood lights with I'll Be Home For Christmas playing. Sheila is driving, Erik is in the front passenger seat, Everett is in the back behind Erik.
Erik: Wow. This song is SO Austin-esque. What CD is this?
(Note: Saying this song is Austin-esque is Erik's way of saying that it reminds him of the Austin music scene.)
Sheila: It is the radio.
Everett: (in loud monotone singing voice) Yayayayay, alalalalal, lololololo
Erik: (to Sheila) Wow, he is really loud.
Sheila: Yeah, you just haven't gotten the full effect because he is usually sitting behind me.
Everett: (continuing in monotone singing voice) Oooooo, ahahahahah, ooooooo, yayayayayay
Erik: (starting to get a bit anxious) He is really loud.
Sheila: Would you like me to stop so that you can sit in the back beside him? It won't be as loud there.
Erik: Yeah.
Sheila stops the car; Erik changes seats, and they are on their way. A bluesy Christmas song is on the radio.
Erik: Wow. This song is SO Austin-esque.
Sheila: Hhhmmmm.
Everett: (loud monotone singing voice) Babababababa, yayayayay, alalalalal, lololololo
Erik: Woooaahhhh, are we going in circles?
Sheila: No, we just turned around in a culdesac.
Erik: Woooaahhhh, I just had my eyes closed and I felt like we were really spinning.
Sheila: No, but you didn't notice when we kept driving in circles when we got caught in that last neighborhood and I couldn't find the road out.
Erik: Weeelllll, I just lay my head baaaaaack and I can fflllyyyyyy!
Everett: (starting to get cranky and is way loud) Bababababa, whah, whah, whah, WHAH
Erik: (under the direction of Sheila gives Everett a snack--Stars) He is RE---aally hungry.
Sheila: Is he okay with the stars?
Erik: Yeeaahhh!
They pass a fence that the owner has put up lights, a Christmas scene, and the word "Noel" in lights.
Erik: That says No--L. I say No---Pee! Hehehehehehe!
Everett: (all out crying) Whawhawhawhawhawhawha!
Erik: Here, buddy, have some more stars.
Everett: (quiet for a moment)
Sheila looks back and Everett has about 150 stars in his hands on his chest and all over the car seat.
Sheila: Erik, how many stars did you give Everett?
Erik: (giggling) A lot. He SUREEEE is hungry.
Sheila turns the car around to go back home. Everett is in all out sobbing and crying mode with intermittent pauses to watch his dad.
Erik: Everett you are so . . . . . DELIGHTFUL!
As the car pulls into the Sjolseth's neighborhood A Honkytonk Christmas is playing.
Erik: This is a Goooood song. Is this on a the radio?
Sheila: Yes, I changed it to a country station.
Erik: Cool. This song is SO Austin-esque.
