Saturday, December 22, 2007

Coming Out of Our Shell

I kind of feel like our family is a tortoise that hid inside his shell for a couple of days. Today, we ventured out, a bit.

Everett napped like a newborn. Well, okay, not quite. But he took two excellent naps (the "up all night long" night finally caught up with him). We just put him to bed, an hour early.

Erik is doing well. He is barely bleeding now. He went in with us to Michaels, and only one woman stopped in her tracks, dropped her bags, fell to the floor screaming . . . . Just kidding. Erik was worried that people would think he looked like a troll, but he doesn't, and no one did. He is still on high level pain medicine and is drowsy all the time. Both the cat and Everett have bumped his nose despite our best strategies to avoid this. I think his nose will be fine despite the run-ins.

I am functioning pretty well as Super Nurse. (Nurse is loosely stated. I do well to take temperatures accurately.) I have been able to keep Everett happy despite the fact that he can't play with his dad right now. Erik doesn't have many complaints about his care, and I got to take a nap today. I think that there is a rule somewhere in the Mommy Handbook that if you get to take a nap, you can't complain about anything else.

I am hoping that it is warm enough to take a walk tomorrow. Until then, we are cautiously peaking out at the world.