So, Erik and I haven't gone to bed yet. We are battling a horrid cycle right now.
Everett's fever is back up again. We need to give him Tylenol and Motrin, alternating between the two. The thing is that, well, Everett has such a sensitive gag reflex because of his acid reflux. He coughs, then throws up. He takes the medicine, then throws up. Then we are back to square one because he needs the medicine. Forget trying to mix it in something. He won't drink pedialyte and he has a freaking 8th sense about us sneaking stuff into his bottle.
At this point, he is tired of getting medicine. It takes both of us to hold him down and give him his medicine right now. What if this continues as he gets older? He is already strong enough so that we are straining.
We checked to see if either Tylenol or Motrin were made in suppository form. Erik just left to go to a 24 hour pharmacy far, far, away that says they have some Tylenol suppositories in stock . . . Motrin doesn't make a suppository according to the pharmacist at that CVS.
Also, we've gone through 4 thermometers this evening trying to find the least intrusive but mostly correct one. You know, if Everett is sleeping and I think he is getting warmer, I want to verify that before I wake him up.
No go on getting an easy thermometer. The ear ones are too unreliable. We did find one where you only need to hold the thermometer heat reader on the patient's temple. Great idea, but no go, again. It even said that our carpet had a temperature of 95 degrees. We aren't in Texas.
BTW, my anxiety about his temperature is almost hysterical. Every time I feel his forehead or tummy or back, I think it is the hottest he's ever been. Thank goodness Erik is able to help out until I feel better. Otherwise, the poor baby would be getting a rectal thermometer up his rear every half hour.
He has been sick before, but we haven't had to give him medication every two hours with the consequence of not doing so that he might have another seizure. I am sure we'll figure this out, but in my humble opinion loss of sleep is a small price to pay for never, ever having to go through a seizure episode again. My heart goes out to those who deal with seizures on a daily basis, not just when their child has a fever.
One thing about me is that even though I do have my control tendencies in many areas of my life I don't act like the Department of Health whenever Everett gets sick. I don't walk back in time in my mind to everywhere I've been and try and pinpoint the perpetrator of the germ crime. Why? Seems pretty futile to me. Now, that doesn't mean I encourage Everett to lick the ground. But, after the past 36 hours, I may start putting him in a bubble. Anyone have an extra one they can spare?