We are starting our unit on the city today. We'll be discussing what makes a good city, what they notice about our city, and how to make a road (we've got lots of road under construction to go watch). I've saved about a bajillion boxes so that we can "build" our own city. (They went to a firestation last week with their grandparents; so this flows right into that experience.)
We'll be making a City Book and drawing bridges, roads, buildings, parks, and whatever else they take notes on about the city.
I used some of the following to help me with ideas.
Skyscraper Museum
Box Buildings
42Explore: Construction
NOVA Build a Bridge
We'll use The Three Little Pigs to talk about construction.
Construction Sensory Box
screws
nuts
bolts
random building bits that I don't have a name for
I'll have blocks of Styrofoam that they can put those pointy things in so they don't try it on the table :)
I am trying to get a small piece of peg board so that they can "use" some of this stuff on it. And, I'm also looking for a good sandpaper craft, as well.