
Last night Erik, in fine storytelling mode, was reminiscing about one of the first years of our marriage. As Erik very comically describes biking to Westlake Grocery at 5:15 in the morning and back home in the dead of Texas heat . . . details include bodily responses to overheating and excessive exercise that include trips to the bathroom (funny stuff, people) and as the story turns to the description of his day continuing on to slaving at an afterschool Kindergarten program refereeing between 5 year-olds . . . all in the effort of allowing Sheila to have a car to get to all of her internships . . . he then speaks of his sacrificial sale of the beloved Acura in order to pay for the newer car during graduate school . . . one of the listeners said, "I don't have any stories like that."
I've been thinking about that. Now, this person doesn't at all have a boring life or background. Quite the opposite. But, he was right, he probably doesn't have a story like that. But, he has other stories.
Just as I have my own version of the story that Erik tells. I am not as funny as Erik, but I have my own flavor of humor, my own anchor to the story that is usually slightly different from Erik's.
Switch to my church's services today. Typically, every first Sunday in my church is dedicated to Fast and Testimony meeting. A meeting that provides a chance for the congregation's members to share personal testimonies, testimonies that may include a vignette, a story, to help illustrate a deep personal spiritual understanding or feeling about a gospel principal . . . or , most importantly, about their relationship with Jesus Christ. For the testimony bearer, these stories serve as opportunities to gain greater knowledge, stronger connections, and clarity. Whether or not stories are shared, it is undoubtedly certain that life situations provided opportunity to define that understanding or relationship.
Though we each have defining moments, we are more than just what is defined in that moment. We are made up of the string of life's moments, life's little things, life's stories. It was a reminder to me that the moment that I am living in right now has the potential to be a defining moment or a learning life experience. It is my choice to maximize the moment or let it slip away . . . just as I choose whether or not to take the time to reflect on the moment . . . the evolution of the new story and learn from it.
Who knew Erik's flowing story starting with the bike ride and bodily functions would end with a reflection?
If the post title reminds you of that underrated slice of cinema Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Bravo!
I've been thinking about that. Now, this person doesn't at all have a boring life or background. Quite the opposite. But, he was right, he probably doesn't have a story like that. But, he has other stories.
Just as I have my own version of the story that Erik tells. I am not as funny as Erik, but I have my own flavor of humor, my own anchor to the story that is usually slightly different from Erik's.
Switch to my church's services today. Typically, every first Sunday in my church is dedicated to Fast and Testimony meeting. A meeting that provides a chance for the congregation's members to share personal testimonies, testimonies that may include a vignette, a story, to help illustrate a deep personal spiritual understanding or feeling about a gospel principal . . . or , most importantly, about their relationship with Jesus Christ. For the testimony bearer, these stories serve as opportunities to gain greater knowledge, stronger connections, and clarity. Whether or not stories are shared, it is undoubtedly certain that life situations provided opportunity to define that understanding or relationship.
Though we each have defining moments, we are more than just what is defined in that moment. We are made up of the string of life's moments, life's little things, life's stories. It was a reminder to me that the moment that I am living in right now has the potential to be a defining moment or a learning life experience. It is my choice to maximize the moment or let it slip away . . . just as I choose whether or not to take the time to reflect on the moment . . . the evolution of the new story and learn from it.
Who knew Erik's flowing story starting with the bike ride and bodily functions would end with a reflection?
If the post title reminds you of that underrated slice of cinema Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Bravo!