So last week we got some humdingers of storms. Knocked out power, cable, internet. Downed wires, trees, and flooded areas.
We were pretty lucky. No structural damage to our home. Just some blastedly inconvenient internet and phone outage for 48 hours with a long commute home for Erik.
As I watched the news, I realized that there were a couple ideas of Emergency Preparedness that would have come in handy for others and myself--
1. Keep at least a 1/2 tank of gas. Well, I always thought,"Why a half tank when you probably need a full tank and to keep a full tank I'll have to stop at every gas station along my driving path."
What I saw: People didn't have any gas and needed to get to work but were unable to because all the gas stations were without power. People didn't have any gas and were planning to refuel to make it back home. If only they'd kept their car 1/2 full.
2. Keep a list of important phone numbers handy. Well, duh on this one right. But, my realm of important has expanded after not having internet access for several days. Important is basically my entire address book, which I store on my computer and and in my email. And, I will stop hounding Erik to throw out all the old phone books he keeps, like we have 10 phone books.