Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Whimsy Wall: First Strokes

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Charles Lutwidge Dodgson


The guy at Home Depot ended up having to match the color paint by eye and it was amazing! 

I began the journey, clad in my navy cotton painting pants and my t-shirt that says (get ready to groan) "Baroque (adj):  When you are out of Monet."  Sadly, I giggle at it, still.

I have a deeper respect for those that paint murals, especially those that paint on brick.  Holy Crayola did I struggle with the orange peel texture! 

I am painting this is in Four Phases.  Looks like I've got Phase One started.  The lighting was too dark because it is raining today; so, I'll have to eyeball it when there is sun streaming through the skylight above it.

I took the picture while the paint was still wet so you get some sense.  The color will darken as it dries (don't have a heart attack yet, Erik, I love you!).


Though I have a marginal talent for it, I love to paint. My nana is an artist and an art teacher, and her home always smelled of crayons and clay.  My mom is a pretty good artist herself.  Now, we'll see if my raw, untrained talent can actually bring fruition to the plans ahead. 

I had an EXCELLENT time doing this.  Experimenting with different brushes and different strokes trying to get the paint on the awkward texture just right.  Remembering how my physics teacher could draw a perfect circle in two seconds.

And, I figured out what part Everett should paint . . . cause who can *watch* someone paint, we all should get right in there, too.