
No, it wasn't because of the prices.
Everett and I went to the Stride Rite outlet today. His physical therapist was able to deliver his orthodics this morning, and we need new shoes to fit them.
All day long was a tantrum centered on access to Dada. I felt like the substitute sitter's substitute. Nothing I did was right . . . and he was royally mad at me at the shoe store. REFUSED to try on the shoes I found even though I think they were the correct size 7 1/2 wide with a large toe box . . . and they looked great . . . and they were more than half off the regular price (only $25.00--that's a bargain for Everett's shoes).
I decided to take a chance and buy the shoes. He could try them on when he felt more inclined. We got in line and waited and waited. I soon discovered that their computers were down, and the employees were having trouble calculating tax and total by hand.
After about 15 minutes of waiting, Everett had a seizure. After the active seizing, I left the shoes behind and got Everett into the car as quickly as possible. (The seizing only lasted about 2 minutes and then the comatose part was about 10 minutes.)
When Everett came out of it as we were coming home, one of his first responses to how he was doing was, "UH-OH!"
I said,"What's wrong?"
He then said,"Shoes?" He recognized that he wasn't where he was when he went out. I let him know that we didn't buy any new shoes.
Thankfully, Erik was working at home and was able to help me with Everett until we put him to bed this evening. The poor kid had a terribly high fever and was just achy. Couldn't get comfortable. Erik was the human couch for several hours until the double-decker meds we give him were able to kick in and give him some comfort. (The baby bump on me is too uncomfortable for Everett to tolerate.)
So, after months of nothing, we are on seizure watch. I thought he had grown out of it, but evidently not (at least not yet). Only one neural tick this afternoon after the more substantive seizure at the shoe store. They say most kids grow out of febrile seizures by the age of three. Only 16 and 1/2 months to go.
We are used to seizure watch. Everett is, overall, just fine. My question right now is, do I eat the cost of driving to the Stride Rite outlet again risking the chance that those shoes are gone . . . or do I eat the entire price of the shoes at a regular Stride Rite where they will most likely have that size in any shoe I want?