Friday, January 08, 2010

Beating the Cold--Baking Style

My house is awesomely cold. Probably not an issue in a regular winter, but it is during this one. They just don't make homes in Texas to withstand cold weather. I am colder here in my home built in the 90s than I was in my townhome in the DC area built in the 70s.

I had a terribly hard time with some dough this afternoon; it would just not rise. I tried to start it early enough to shape it for cinnamon rolls to allow them to rise a second time in the fridge for a party tomorrow. But, it was too cold for the dough to work.

After 4 hours of nonrising, I put a heating pad above and below the bowl, and it is working beautifully! And, so I go out on the internet and other people do the same thing like on a regular basis. Who knew? It is working so nicely, I think I'll do it from here on out.