Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Too Big for His Britches

Right now, Everett is allowing me to watch the last fifteen minutes of the Today show so that we can hear Sara Evans sing. I've got my bowl of apple cinnamon oatmeal in front of me, and Evy has both of his blankets.

We've just finished our morning routine . . . going to the potty is now part of it. Not Mommy going to the potty, but Evy. "Go, Poopoo!" He requests to go to the potty at least once a day. He has actually done something while on the potty, and I am not ready for this.

I was ready for him to walk MONTHS before he was ready.

I was ready to trash all his meds way before he was.

Most moms count down until they can potty train . . . not me. I wasn't planning to potty train until Feb or March. He is just weeks shy of turning two . . . the pediatrician told me not to expect to train him until he was at least two and then some. I'm unprepared . . . and in Sheila World that means that I haven't thoroughly researched books, asked friends, and then created a plan to go about it.

So, I am just going to let him potty train himself for now. I figure he might plateau at this point and not need to be taken to the next step for awhile? We do have a potty for him. We do praise him. He is telling us, sometimes, before he needs to go pee or poo. Mostly he tells us just after he goes. He usually doesn't fight me during diaper changing time, now. I'll just be grateful for those behaviors, and let him cue me as to when he is ready to go to the next point, because I certainly don't want to right now.

Call me lazy, but I rather think I am wise.


His first trip to the potty occurred this weekend. Let me tell you, he was so PROUD of himself. He sat there for 20 minutes, just grinning away. What do first-time parents do when the KID tells them he needs to go to the potty without any kind of prompting on their part?--take a picture.