Thursday, October 16, 2008

33 Weeks

33 WEEKS!!!!!! Can you believe it? Can you?

I am so psyched! 33 weeks and no prescribed bedrest. Of course, I am not able to do a fraction of what I normally do on any given day when I am not pregnant, but who really does? (No, don't tell me that other pregnant ladies can do whatever they want like shop--run--shop--drive for over 20 minutes--shop--go for walks, I want to believe this maybe false idea that they can't because it is my reality.) I have cut back my activities to like almost nothing for MONTHS now, but when I feel okay and don't feel like throwing up, I can cook a pretty good meal and dance around with Everett and think of projects to do that "have" to get done before the baby arrives.

33 Weeks--I can't believe it!

Baby S
5 pounds and 8 ounces (average at this gestation is just over 4 pounds)
measuring at 35 weeks physically
hiccups daily
freaked me out when he had a "slow" week last week
still has a hand at his mouth for every sonogram
beginning to run out of room
(No, we don't know that it is a boy.)


Mommy
As I finish up this 8th month in a couple of weeks and head to the 9th (once I get to just over 35 weeks), I am in uncharted territory. What is week 36-40 like? The doctor says no elective induction until 39 weeks. SIGH--I was hoping I could just be induced the moment he took me off the contraction medication at 37 weeks.

For now I am just always tired--don't sleep at night. I am running out of TUMS. In the morning my face is swollen. In the evening the rest of me is slightly swollen (like a roasted marshmallow, not like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man). A plus to having swollen facial features is I get the Angelina Jolie lips all for free.

I am lucky sufferer of horrid contractions, but according to the sonogram the cervix is fine (in fact the perinatologist scared me a bit by saying,"I hope that your cervix starts opening more because otherwise you'll have a cesarean.") I don't care if I have to get a c-section---but all this concern over the cervix and then I need a c-section!!

Dear High-risk Doctor, Just be happy that I am no more trouble to you, that you will never need to see me again--though it sounds like you are very much like Dr. House and get giggly over complication. Sincerely, Me

Previous to this sonogram, I didn't want to have to need the sonograms. I don't care how many "pictures of my baby" I received. I want a NORMAL, AVERAGE, boring pregnancy. As much as the sonograms were a pain to go to and keeping track of all that goes with doctors' appointments was a burden, today's sonogram was . . . awesome. I didn't have one with Everett this far along in the pregnancy. This baby is running out of room, you can see hair (evidently this baby has a headful), you can see eyelids, you can now connect the bumps in your belly to the locations of the head/butt/body/feet without question, you can see more definition in the fingers and feet and chubby cheeks. What an opportunity I have had to watch the development of life, the life of one of my own children so closely!

OO-need to take a break, contraction really hurts. . . . . Okay, I'm back.

My OB admonished me today that despite all the good and giggly news from the sonogram, I am to take it easy and rest A LOT. I am hitting the part of the pregnancy where I went into labor with Everett, 35 weeks. My personal goal is 37 weeks.

I've updated my Netflix cue. I've given up the guilt that usually comes if Everett watches TV for over an hour while I nap on the floor. I have sitters lined up for Everett when the event occurs (Thank You, Ladies!). And, I should probably pack some hospital bags.

As far as I am concerned, we are hunkering down for the home stretch.

Erik ran into our old Bishop, who is currently in our Stake Presidency, this past Sunday. He was one of the very few that knew we were going through IVF when we did it in 2006. He visited and blessed Everett in the NICU when Evy showed up early. And, he always has our well-being close to his heart. He asked how I was doing. Erik gave him the bitter truth (which I don't always share/talk/blog about).

He replied: Birth in itself is a miracle. For some people, birth takes many, many miracles.

Amen, Brother! He gets it.