Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Boys

I remember when I first started teaching . . . I think it was my first year teaching, there was one day when my students just would not take the risk and start a project on their own.  Every little detail, jot, and iota had to be verified by me . . . I remember gads of hands raised in the air and I became frustrated.

I was frustrated because I knew I couldn't get to all of them in time and answer each and every question to make them comfortable.

I was frustrated because so many of my students were afraid to take a chance and just try it.

I was frustrated because I couldn't think of a better way to address the situation, and we really needed one.

I was frustrated because I was getting frustrated.

So, I took a step outside of my classroom door, took a breath, and stood there trying to figure out a way to remedy the situation.

When I stepped back into my classroom, with a new plan, every single one of my students had their hands raised with the most comical smirks on their faces.

It CRACKED ME UP!  They so knew that I had been frustrated with the questions, questions, questions and they made me laugh over it.

This picture reminds me of that time.

My boys know that they aren't supposed to climb on, climb over, straddle, jump on, launch from, or otherwise cause bodily harm to the couches.  On this afternoon, I guess it was all I was talking about . . . .

I was trying to make dinner amidst the interruption EVERY 30 SECONDS . . . and, yet again, I heard a 'Hey, Mom!'  I look around the corner and see this:


Little Stinkers!  And, yes, it was very funny!