A large group of us met at the Cracker Barrel in Lewisville in honor of Grandpa. Our waitress said that she knew him when we explained the reason for our large group (we were a group that kept growing and the Cracker Barrel did their best in grabbing tables so that we could gather in honor of Grandpa). Though we were scattered through the restaurant, it was great to see many relatives I had not seen since, uh, I was a baby or a teenager.
Later, we gathered at Old Hall Cemetery. The VFW came, a group of service men and women came from Ft. Hood. It was a large group of friends and family who came to celebrate Grandpa's life. His sense of humor, service to our country, and frank style were the most repeated themes through the experience. He was a loved man, a respected man.
The services went off amazingly well. The greatgrandkids sang "I Am a Child of God." My Dad conducted the services, spoke of the temporary nature of this life, shared his own and others' memories of Grandpa. I spoke for a minute. Mom was in charge of the music (Erik helped with logistics and will tell you about the importance of back-up batteries), and Phillip provided the dedicatory prayer. There was an amazing flag folding ceremony. Really, it was amazing. The respect, honor, exactness that was performed, amazing. Taps was performed, as well.
Preparing for the services.
Grandpa was cremated. He was buried next to his first wife, Lucille, his second wife, Estelle, and his son, Paul.
This is my dad (in the brown). He is incredible. My sister Deborah said it best when she said,"My Grandpa gave me the best dad in the world." Amen!
The greatgrandkids that were there--I personally had 10 pictures on my camera, I know my sister had some as well. Here are the best three. Crack me Up!
During this process, we have had a chance to talk to Everett about Grandpa's death. As typical of a four year old, there is confusion. But, he continues to think about things and will ask me off and on about death, where Grandpa is, "his body got old and tired, right?," what happens when we die, and then he brings it full circle and asks about where we were before we were born. I love that boy!