Friday, February 19, 2010

Cool Stuff . . . for the wiggly wittle one

Merritt is a mover and a groover. When he plays he roams the rooms, the house, climbing and emptying everything in his way.

When he is in a grocery cart, his curiosity and propensity to move aren't hindered at all by that strap that comes with the wheeled vehicle no matter how tight I pull it. And, he can stand within seconds . . . and get himself into trouble.

Each time we went out and used the grocery cart, I ended up continuously restrapping him in after he maneuvered himself to the surfing position again, and again, and again. You know the position . . . where he is standing facing away from me with his hands gripped firmly on the cart squealing with delight as if I was moving fast enough for wind to rush through his hair.

A couple of months ago, in that place of many embarrassing mommy moments, the grocery store, he stood up-turned around-and jumped for a flip all in the moment it took for me to look at a label and back . . . split second timing. Thankfully, that inadequate strap was adequate enough to hold him from flipping completely over (I was lucky he didn't step out of the strap before jumping). He was upside down with "grill" marks across his face. In all, no permanent damage. Some blood (and, yes, I am going to start his dental savings account any day now), some hysterics, and lots of concerned looks from passerbyers.

That day I went home to find a harness. One that would keep him safely inside the confines of the sitting area so he wouldn't flip over and "grill" his face again.

I decided on the "baby sit-tight"--and, no, the "I'm wearing overalls" look isn't quite what I would have gone for in the baby couture . . . but it keeps him safe. The straps that go over his shoulders prevent him from standing up (and the straps are adjustable). It is pretty compact and fits right in with even my smallest bag that I use with the boys. After using it for awhile now, I consider it one of the best purchases I've made for him.

Even better, he doesn't mind it all . . . and probably would like it if I brought his cowboy hat to complete the look.