Friday, October 05, 2007

Rant: The New Label

Some of you may have noticed the labels at the end of each post. I am going to have to add a new one . . . RANT. I don't find that I need to RANT-write very often. I could just write this particular rant down and keep them in my private folder without inflicting you with my irritations through this blog, but I guess I want to share them with someone, and you are it.

I've done my share of going to the doctor recently. Lots of different ones with varying degrees of quality in medical expertise and bedside manner. I'll be keeping some of the stupid things they've said to myself, but here are some that I think are ridiculous.

Reader FYI: Not all of these have happened recently. One is a little graphic. But if you read the recent post on "poop" and didn't hork, then you'll be fine.

Additionally, I feel extremely blessed to have doctors that have saved my life, helped my family with our ills and injuries, and helped us bring Everett into our family. I in no way want to minimize the great contribution that doctors and nurses and those that study diseases and afflictions have in all of our lives. I thank God, at least weekly, for the good medical care that we have.

But, I still need to rant:

Today's RANT: The Things Doctors Say

Idiot Doctor Remark #1

"You know a pill won't fix this." Yes, and the reason I came to see the doctor was to find out what WON'T work. BTW, he didn't have any suggestions on how to make it better only to say that a pill wouldn't.

Idiot Doctor Remark #2

(left on a voice message) "Yes, we received your MRIs today, and it looks like you have disk disease. You can call me to discuss the results. I will be out of the office for the next three days"----Okay, I totally laughed at this one because it was left by the "bad" doctor in the office and not the "good" doctor. So, I expected nothing less than what a lab rat would say because that is where this doctor belongs . . . working in a lab--not with people.

But, the following thoughts were--What is "disk disease?" Is that a formal medical term that can be fixed with a pill found in the Physician's Desk Reference? Is it osteoporosis, is it cancer, is it gangrene of the spine, can someone else catch it?

Idiot Doctor Remark #3

When I was concerned that Evy hadn't started doing any moving---this is a selfish concern because he is/was heavy and I needed him to start going places on his own. Genius doctor says, "You should never compare your baby's development to other babies' development."

He then picked up Everett and an audible "UUMmmpphhh" escaped him because Everett is a big boy. The doctor then said, "Yeah, he is heavy."

Idiot Doctor Remark #4

"If it hurts when you move, then don't move." And, he meant don't move at all while trying to live my life, doing my daily chores, and going to work. Think, brain, think, and don't minimize my concerns.

Idiot Doctor Remark #5

AND, my ALL TIME favorite . . . I was very sick, vomiting everything up and was prescribed suppositories to help since I couldn't keep anything down including medications. After a day or so, I told the doctor that the suppositories were not working for me, I was still vomiting.

He says, "Did you take the foil off the suppository before you inserted it?"-----Oh, that pretty green foil that is hard and sharp isn't the candy coating on the medication?