Monday, October 01, 2007

Parenting Dilemna #254

Setting: 9:oo pm, Everett is sound asleep, snoozing peacefully. Sheila sneaks into his room to put aways clothes and comes out quietly.


Sheila: It really smells in there. I am afraid he pooped.

Erik: Are you sure, it could just be gas. Everybody can have gas. I get gassy you know.

Erik goes in and checks out the level of rankiness.

Erik: Yeah, he pooped.

Sheila: That means he'll sit in it for 10 more hours. He's had such a problem with diaper rash recently. But they say "don't wake a sleeping baby."

Erik: Well, if it really bothers him he'll wake up.

Sheila: Okay.

One hour later--

Sheila: It really stinks. The whole floor smells now.

Erik: Should we try and change his diaper.

Sheila: I'll see how bad it is.

Erik: Okay, I'll be ready to prep a bottle in case we need one to get him to go back to sleep.

Sheila quietly checks the diaper like only a mom and dad can check a diaper.

Sheila: Yeah, it is poopy. It will be a quick change . . . not a messy poop. (Read between the lines here people.)

Erik: Okay.

Sheila quietly goes in, lines the changing table with a warm blanket, gently moves Everett to the changing table, changes the diaper with the speed that only moms who want their babies to go back to sleep can. She then places him back in his bed . . . ASLEEP!!!

Will we ever do that again? I don't know. Am I very, very grateful for disposable diapers that make changing a diaper quick and easy? YES.