Friday, June 01, 2007

Wee, Wee, Wee, All the Way Home


Twiggy often, whenever she catches us, comes with us on our walks whether we are skipping along the golf course or just roaming the trails in Reston. She runs to catch up with us, saunters along slowing, and then meows for us to wait for her to catch up. Then she runs to catch up, and, well, you get the pattern. Other joggers, walkers, and golfers are sure to comment on her.

"Is that your cat following you?"
"Did you know you have a cat behind you?"
"Is that a *dog*? . . . NO, wow!"
"That's the coolest cat I've ever seen."

She is very sensitive to the "animal kingdom territory" and isn't shy to tell us, "This is as far as I'm going to go." She meows plaintively each time at the same points on the walk as if to tell us she'll wait right there until we circle back. And, sure enough, she is waiting right there when we head home.

Today's walk started no differently than any other and almost ended no differently than any other . . . until the black Labrador was walking in "her" territory. Towards the end of the walk, as I was strolling with Everett on a path that led home, I passed a blonde lady working out along side her dog as they briskly walked the path. We nodded to each other like all friendly path passergoers do, without pause.

Well, I paused a bit down the path remembering that Twiggy was behind us and wondering what she would do when she saw the dog. I expected her to either run scared into the bushes or walk nonchalantly, past not even giving notice to the dog's existence.

To my amazement, what I saw was this: Twiggy stood in the middle of the path, puffing up and throwing her side to the trespassers making herself 4 times as large as she really is. I could hear her hissing, adding a slight growl to the intimidation.

The walker and her black Labrador stopped in their tracks. Then, the now indignant walker stomped her foot a couple of times on the ground (I guess in an effort to make Twiggy scram). However, Twiggy stood her ground.

I expected them to quickly run past Twiggy with disdain having given her a chance to escape the fury of a very large dog. Instead, the lady and her dog TURNED AROUND and RAN the other way!!! (I am laughing to myself at the memory of it all.)

I couldn't believe it. Twiggy had stood her ground and won. She didn't leave from that spot for several minutes. Maybe she was expecting them to try to sneak through later.

This little cat went on a walk,
This little cat ran home,
This little cat meowed for me to wait up,
This little cat had fun.
AND this little cat made a BIG Labrador and her owner cry wee-wee-wee-wee-wee,
All the way home.



Wait for me. I'm coming!