As I am writing up this post, Erik is feeding Everett. Tonight has been one of several nights where Everett has had extreme difficulty going to sleep. Just a bit ago, Everett woke shrieking from a sound sleep (that took lots of crying to get to).
Earlier tonight, Erik took the charge of getting him down, and, in an effort to calm a hysterical baby, finally just pulled Evy out of the crib and sat him on his lap.
When I ventured from my room where I was hiding in a book, I saw Everett gurgling to his father and super enjoying himself (something he didn't really do all day today). Standing in the doorway, I witnessed Everett giving Erik his first hug and kiss. It was so sweet. Dad "who saved Everett from the bedtime dragon" was rewarded with such joyful devotion. Very saccharine but a thrill to watch.
Why is Everett grumpy? Who knows . . . it could be teething or the fact that we changed his bed since he throws himself upside-down these days. I am hoping he will just fall fast asleep when Erik lays him back in his crib in the next couple of minutes.