Friday, August 27, 2010

A New Era: Sharing


I found a one day a week preschool program for Everett to join.  At least, I am planning to register him tomorrow.  It is at a science/nature museum, and it is focused on habitats and animals and adaptation--really cool stuff like that.  Frankly, I really have not looked forward to this part. I like having freedom in my day to shift the activity to my mood and my children's moods. Enter reality. y.u.c.k.

Now, I have to share him with other people.  Other people. I don't like that. Call me Selfish Sheila.  Call me Controlling Selfish Sheila.  Knowing these two boys are all the "little boys" I'll have makes me want to keep them by me all the time, well, most of the time (I still haven't figured out how to get a daily shower done without Merritt joining me).  At the same time, this science preschool program is a fun program, not one where they are shoving the alphabet and "rest time" at you.  I am sure he will LOVE it!  And we'll have lots to talk about and he can teach Merritt all about it.

Recently, we have been having "school" in the afternoons while Merritt naps.  And, Everett and I really enjoy that time together.  So, I'll savor that time and let go (though you know I am going to be tempted to try and figure out to how to keep Merritt interested in the museum and trails for two hours the first time I drop Everett off so I am not far . . . you know, just in case . . . can you see Erik rolling his eyes at me?)

-------------------------------------------------

Everett is a sweet kid.  We talk about the foods that we eat, like, all the time. 

"Is this good for me?"
"What vitamins does it have?"
"Will this help me have good poop?"
"Will this help my owie get better?"

Over the summer, as he made connections with how we get the food we eat with the food on the plate in front of him, he became concerned.

Evy:  Is this cut from a cow?
Mom:   Yes.
Evy:  That is not nice.  That is mean.  He needs it back.  We need to give it back.
Mom: [insert some answer about how animals help us, Heavenly Father gave us the things we need to have strong bodies]
Evy (unconvinced):  We-ell, I am going to p-tend it is dinosaur meat.

Some of the hardest moments are when he holds up a french fry and says,"Is this good for me?"  Uuuhhh, no?  And, so why am I feeding it to you?  That question is coming soon.