Monday, September 27, 2010

For Our Own Good?

In our faith, the LDS church, we have standards that we live by . . . and time and time again, I have seen the benefits of living those standards.  Many people think that they are too restrictive.  I've had some people tell me that I must enjoy being told what to do in order to abide by a set of standards.  In all, I know that living by these standards are for my own good.  I am happier, healthier, and more productive by following these guidelines.

On my mind right now:  I've been witness to how destructive a tool technology can be.  Technology in itself isn't the issue; it is the way it used and by what person, for what purpose.  I've seen how harmful it is for those who never "turn off" the technology.  They get no peace, they are up at night answering text messages when they should be sleeping.  And, the need to be careful with technology goes the same for adults and children.

I often think of how I will respond to technology when my kids are older--what are the right guidelines, how to best enforce limits and encourage appropriate use.  A long time ago, the raging battle in my mind was "Video games vs No video games."  Things are different now; the blessing of technology is in many, many more forms.  The lines of what the world and sometimes even the neighbors view as appropriate vs inappropriate are blurry at best.  I admire parents who are already navigating the waters and teaching their children how to reasonably use technology and safeguard themselves from the problems that can arise with thoughtless use.

Right now, the most my kids know is that mom checks her email on the computer and that there are "shows" (movies, tv shows).   Ah, to be 3 and 1.  I love those little boys.