Friday, December 04, 2009

For P'Real!

(We've been discussing things that are "pretent and p'real" for several months now with Everett. I love some of the verbal quirks that young children have.)

And our schedule is so over-packed, FOR P'REAL!

I am eager to journal the details of some of the amazing experiences we have had. But, I just can't get a moment. Between Erik's calling and my calling in our church, there is just not time. The danger of waiting to journal is you lose the details, and the details are what brings the experience to life. We have had a meeting with a group or individual almost every night for the past 8 weeks. Tonight, we have nothing scheduled but the house needs attention, etc.

I think we are going to watch a movie.

I do want to share with you how humbling it is to work alongside Erik as he strives to fulfill duties as Ward Employment Specialist. The employment needs of right now are particularly overwhelming. It is absolutely insane some of the qualifications that these unemployed and underemployed have and the effort that they are putting into their job search with results coming months and months and sometimes over a year into being unemployed. In short, it hurts, in a sense, to experience their frustration, pain, shame, loss of confidence, and powerlessness.

We feel blessed to be employed. We feel blessed to have health insurance. We feel blessed to have a house (I guess we talk so much about people losing their homes that Evy will ask several times a day,"Do they have a home?" as he points to a person walking on the sidewalk or driving a car).

We feel blessed to have supportive family and friends. And we feel blessed to have the Gospel in our lives. Neither one of us would have the time to accomplish the work, the chutzpah to believe that we can do this work, or insight we desperately need to (1) fulfill our callings and (2)be parents without direction and blessings from our Heavenly Father.

So, if you are unemployed or underemployed you are in our prayers. If you are gainfully employed, take a moment and be grateful.