Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Check, Check, 1, 2, 3


I've been a little mopey since my birthday. Not sure if it is just the stress of everything (the past 18 months haven't been the easiest), just transition ickyness (the inevitable missing familiarness and friends in my old home), or that I am letting the heat get to me.

My role has changed a bit in the past year. I go from having an identity, including one that exists outside my home, to total isolation through my pregnancy, transition to a new home, and now I think I am trying to reframe who I am. Reframe and remember what I want to be. My identity with being mom and wife intertwined in/with my earthly genetics.

Today, I took some time to reflect on several women I admire. My sisters, my moms, that friend that keeps emailing to check in on me though she lives far-far away, Everett's godmother-Megan, Merritt's godmother-Rosie, that other friend who emailed me on my birthday, and those women who provide examples of joy for me.

I am sure that all of them have had to reframe who they are, probably several times. It is time for me to do that again.

My identity includes a penchant for working with at-risk and troubled children (I just have a knack for getting down to figuring out what is going on and how to best go about the next steps). My identity does include the propensity to like anything a 10 year old would like (gumballs are awesome). I like to be prompt with allowing room for irreverence. I love watching my children grow up. I enjoying being a help to Erik, a sounding board for all that he is concerned about no matter the issue. My identity includes a flair for the creativity including the mess that goes with it.

That is all I have for now.

Right now, Merritt is on my lap slathering over a teether, Everett is developing the next Olympic sport--"how far away can I jump and still land on Mom." They are the best.