Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fall Arrives

This morning we were greeted by cool air and brisk winds as we ventured to do our weekly shopping. Everett and I were bundled for the walk this morning, wearing pants and sweatshirts. Erik doesn't need to bundle up . . . something about retaining that strong "I can handle subzero temperatures because I lived in Russia for two years" acclimation or something.

I love this time of year. The trees are shedding the old, old leaves and are turning the bright to dusky autumnal colors that I enjoy. Erik and I were engaged during the fall season and we have great memories of that time. I am ready to make soups and pumpkin bread and get ready for the flurry of celebrations that occur from September to December. I love the fact that I can hear the local high school marching band practicing from my house and the spectators' cheers on Friday nights. (I know that appreciation is from retaining a bit of that strong "Texas football" environment I was surrounded with growing up in Texas.) Go Longhorns!

This evening we will hit the 40s, and I am thrilled about it. I am ready to pack away the swimsuit and don the knee high boots.