The Best and the Worst of Bed Rest
As another week is checked off the countdown and as I have hit the halfway mark with the prescribed bed rest, I found myself pondering on the Best and the Worst thus far and thought I would share my earth stopping insights in no particular order.
Best
●Men’s tank tops that are size extra large. So comfy! And they grow with you.
●Fruit popsicles. I can always stomach one, even when nothing else works.
●Little heartbeat detector at the doctor’s office (you get to hear the heart beat and all the baby’s kicks). A nice reminder that this is all worth it.
●Finally learning to give up control of the little things.
●Netflix: Best movie watched so far “The Way We Were”
●Random phone calls/emails/letters/packages that people send to cheer me up.
●No more swollen ankles or feet.
Worst
●Broccoli-I have had so many different versions of this veggie that it is banned from the Sheila menu. Erik loved them all and will have to get his “tree” fix elsewhere.
●Feeling like the world is passing by you. Similar to how it feels when the city bus doesn’t have room to pick you up and passes you standing on the corner in the rain in your best party dress.
●Any medicine where the dosage lasts less than 8 hours (’cause that means you have to set an alarm and wake up in the middle of the night separately from any bathroom runs).
●Sciatic nerves
●Finally learning to give up control of the little things.
●Buying shoes a size larger than your usual size the weekend before being put on bed rest because the swollen toes won’t fit in the “regular” shoes. (See update on swelling above.)
Baby S “The Hiccuper”
A new or at least newly recognized development for our baby is that he hiccups all the time. Either that or he has uncanny rhythm already. We are pretty sure that it is at the most a combination of the two . . . with a heavy emphasis on the hiccups.
I am sure that wives tales abound for how to get him to stop, but for someone who spends the majority of the day staring at the basement room walls, it is a welcome diversion. Though, I must admit I wish that The Hiccuper would take a break at least a couple of hours at night.
We are all doing well. Every day I have two goals: 1) Behave and not stress and 2) Try not to drive Erik insane.